by LynnAnn Murphy

Nestled in the Cuchumatanes Mountains of northwestern Guatemala, Huehuetenango has been home to my daughter, Jessie, and me since June of 2010. My primary passion is teaching the Bible to the Mam Indians, but after seeing the extreme physical need of the indigenous population, God led me to start Loving InDeed in August 2014. Through this program widows and their young children receive food and housing assistance, training, free medical care, and spiritual support every week. In January of 2016, the Loving InDeed scholarship program began providing a life-changing education to young people who would otherwise not have the opportunity to study beyond the 6th grade.

Friends in Huehue

Friends in Huehue

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Oh Ye Of Little Faith

October 2010--Jessie had just arrived in
 Guatemala two months prior.  Just a baby!
I have struggled with doubt at various times in my life. This may shock some of you since missionaries are on a higher spiritual plane than everyone else (HAHAHAHA!), but I've had thoughts like:  Is the Bible REALLY God's inspired word? Do we have ALL of it? Am I really saved?  If I am really saved, why do I still struggle with this, and that, and the other thing?  Did God really forgive me for that?  And forget it?  If God really loves me, why did he let my papa die?  If He's all powerful, why didn't He heal my dad of ALS? Did God really call me to Guatemala or was that my own hairbrained idea? Should I really have taken my little genius child away from family and everything familiar to go live in a dangerous third world country with a second-rate educational system?  Was that faith or idiocy?  I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

Honestly, I think most Christians struggle with doubt sometimes, we just don't like to admit it or talk about it publicly.  I'm teaching through the book of Matthew in two different Bible studies, and today we got to Matthew chapter 11.  That's the chapter where John the Baptist--the man who earlier in his life had exclaimed, "Behold the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!"--sent his followers to Jesus to ask Him if He was really the Messiah or if they should quit wasting their time and go look for someone else. Now that's some serious doubt, and right to Jesus's face, no less!  But Jesus's response to John's doubt is very reassuring.  He tells John's followers to remind John of what he's seen and heard.  And then instead of scolding or belittling him, Jesus goes on to tell the rest of the crowd how John is one of the greatest men to have ever lived!  It would appear that John's doubts didn't faze Jesus one bit.  This whole story got me to thinking and then studying about how to handle doubt.  It helped me so much, that I thought I'd pass it along to you guys, on the off chance that some of you have ever struggled with doubt.  The following is a compilation of God's thoughts on the subject, my own thoughts on it,  and some things I've read from others while researching this subject.  So here goes:  six ways to combat doubt.

      1.  Talk to God about it.  That's what John did.  He had doubts, and since he was in prison and couldn't go to Jesus himself, he sent his followers on his behalf.  I think it's a good example to follow. Most times when I have doubts, I don't usually bring them to the Lord.  Instead I mull them over, which is a tactful way of saying that I overanalyze them until I drive myself crazy. So instead, tell God about your doubts.  You're not going to surprise Him.  
      2.  Go back to what you know to be true.  That's what Jesus told John's followers to do.  "Remind John of what he's seen...the blind can see, the deaf can hear, the sick are healed, the dead have been raised..." John had seen these things with his own eyes.  Has God ever done anything wonderful in your life?  He has mine.  So when you're going through a time of doubt, remind yourself of those times when God came through for you.  Things you've seen with your own eyes.
      3.  Get in the Word.  Jesus also told John's followers to remind him of what he'd heard.  Of course, John had heard Jesus's voice in person with his own ears.  Clearly he's got us beat there.  But we do have God's word.  Want more faith?  "Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God..." (Rom. 10:17)  So read it!
Ever wondered how big a mustard seed is?
Here you have it!
       4.  Remember it's not the quantity of your faith that matters--it's Who your faith is in that matters.  Jesus saves.  I don't save myself with my great faith.  It only takes a mustard seed.
      5.  If you're feeling low on faith, borrow some! "Iron sharpens iron..." according to the wisest man who ever lived.  (Solomon in Proverbers 27)  So when you're having doubts, go talk to someone who's feeling full of faith.  You'll leave encouraged! Besides, it's good to admit our issues to other Christians. Why do we think we have to pretend to be so perfect all the time anyway?
      6.  Act on your faith, not on your doubts.  If Noah hadn't acted on his faith rather than his doubts, we wouldn't even be here.  Then there's Abraham, Peter, David, Gideon, Mary, Joshua, Caleb and on, and on and on...all had some pretty serious things to doubt about at various points in their lives, but they chose to act on their faith instead of their doubts.  And so can we.

Remember--doubt is not the opposite of faith. Unbelief is the opposite of faith.  And doubt is not a sin.  Doubt is simply evidence that you have faith in something you cannot see or prove.

I hope this list helps you as much as it's helped me.  If you have other things you do to help you through times of doubt, I'd sure like to hear your ideas!  I think I'm going to make a big list and write it my Bible for the next time I have doubts...probably tomorrow.  Onward and upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment